Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana is an initiative by our Honorable Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his government. It was launched on 9th, June 2016 with the objective of providing health care facilities for the pregnant women, especially the poor. Further down Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana is an Abhiyan where on every month’s 9th
Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana is an initiative by our Honorable Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his government. It was launched on 9th, June 2016 with the objective of providing health care facilities for the pregnant women, especially the poor.
Further down Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana is an Abhiyan where on every month’s 9th date, the pregnant women will be provided with health checkups and the essential treatment, for free. This Abhiyan is applicable for all the pregnant women all over India, and they are licit to cash this benefit in all the government hospitals throughout the country.
About Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
Our Prime Minister has also emphasized the concentration and awareness of introducing Surakshit Matritva Yojana on July 31st 2016 in his episode of Mann Ki Baat. Though there has been a substantial improvement in India in shrinking of maternal and infant mortality rate, however every year around 44000 women die due to causes related to pregnancy and nearly 6.6 lakh infants have died in their initial first month. It could have been likely to save life of many women and children and prevent them from dying if proper care and attention was given to them during their initial period and the risk factors such as hypertension, anemia and other pregnancy associated problems could have been avoided.
This Yojana provides certainty with a minimum package of gynecological care and services to the pregnant women in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters of pregnancy at all designated governmental healthcare facilities. PMSMA visualizes to magnify quality and overall treatment and exposure of Antenatal Care (ANC) or gynecological care, right from the diagnosis to its counselling services to the treatment given as a part of the Reproductive Maternal Neonatal Child Adolescent Health strategy (RMNCH+A).
This Yojana practices is an efficient attitude towards the arrangement with the private sector that consist of encouraging private gynecology practitioners to volunteer for this campaign, constructing different tactics for generating attentiveness and pleasing the private sector to participate in this Yojana at government oriented health services.
Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana provides with numerous tests for the pregnant women such as hemoglobin test, blood pressure test, blood test, diabetes test, weight and screening will be done at various medical centers. Medicines such as IFA supplements or calcium supplements etc. will be provided to all pregnant women. The doctors here will be using different kind of stickers on the health cards of the pregnant women, these sticker indicates the situation and risk factor of the pregnant women. The color of these stickers with meaning are provided below.
Sticker Color :-Type of Diseases
Green Sticker :-Women With no risk factor detected
Red Sticker:- Women with high risk pregnancy
Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana is a remarkable creativity that will definitely help the pregnant women from the poor or backward class, rural areas and the women who are uneducated by ensuring their health all through their pregnancy. The Pregnant women will be provided with Mother and Child Protection Cards and safe motherhood booklets.
Prime Minister also wishes the medical professionals and doctors working in private healthcare sectors to contribute in this yojana and submit 12 days of their free services per year for the health of these poor pregnant women. This intention of this Yojana is to provide certain, free of cost, all-inclusive and a quality gynecological care to all the women of India on 9th of every month.
Main features of Surakshit Matritva Yojana
• This scheme applies only to the pregnant women.
• All kinds of specified medical checkups for the pregnant women will be free
• This free checkups will be held on 9th of every month
• The tests will be held at the medical centers, private clinics, government and private hospitals throughout the country.
• Each women will be marked differently based on the health problem of each one so that the doctors can properly detect the problem and provide with the faster treatment.
• This yojana is applicable only to the women in 3 to 6 months of their pregnancy period. The women not falling under urban area category and the women who belong to semi urban, rural or poor areas will be given inclinations under Surakshit matritva Yojana.
• An award named “IPledgeFor9” has been created as the Achievers Award to celebrate the achievements be it individual or team, and also acknowledge their voluntary contribution for Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan, in states and districts of India.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana (PMSMY)
Generally, when a women gets pregnant, it is possible that she suffers from various kinds of diseases a d health care issues for instance hormonal imbalance of diseases, high blood pressures or high diabetes problems. This abhiyan will therefore provide free checkups to the ladies who are pregnant so as to make sure good health of the mother and birth of a healthy child.
• Provide good health to the pregnant women.
• Making pregnant women conscious of their health and diseases.
• Making certain safe delivery and hale and hearty life of the baby.
• Lowering the maternity mortality rate.
• To make sure there is at least one antenatal examination for all the pregnant women in their 2nd and 3rd trimester by a specialist or physician.
• Improve the quality of carefulness during the gynecologist visit.
Services under Surakshit Matritva Yojana
The obligatory services and provisions to be provided to the pregnant women under Surakshit Matritva Yojana are as follows.
• Proper observation of any existing clinical conditions including the pregnancy such as anemia, gestational diabetes or hypertension.
• Provide with all relevant diagnostic amenities.
• Appropriate counseling’s services and proper documentation of services rendered.
• Provide appropriate services and opportunities to the pregnant women who has missed their gynecological appointments and give them suitable relevant diagnostic services.
• Screening of all appropriate clinical illnesses.
• Extra care to be taken in case of adolescent or early pregnancies as these women needs extra specialized attention.
• Suitable birth planning and in case of complication and promptness for each pregnant women is to be given, specifically those identified with the risk factor of associated conditions.
• Recognize and enlist, the high risk pregnancy based on obstetric or medical history and existing clinical conditions.
• Extraordinary emphasis should be done on prompt diagnosis of pregnant women with malnutrition and there should be adequate and appropriate management for the same.
• In addition of the struggles of the government sector doctors the support from private sector doctors such radiologists, physicians, obstetrics gynecologists and others antenatal checkup services would be provided to the pregnant women.
• These specialists from the private sector will be encouraged to provide voluntary services at public healthcare facilities wherein there are inadequate or unavailable government sector practitioners.
• There is a setup of National Portal for PMSMA and even a mobile application have been developed to engage the private sector practitioners.
How to Join Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
Any private or retired doctor, medical organization, hospitals can join the PMSMA by going to the official website at the link below
More Details about PMSMA can be found on the official website at: https://pmsma.nhp.gov.in