In India there are almost 24 Crore households, out of which there are 10 crore households that are still deprived of LPG as cooking fuel and they still rely on the old method of firewood, cow dung or coal as primary source of cooking food. The smoke that arises due to burning of such kind
In India there are almost 24 Crore households, out of which there are 10 crore households that are still deprived of LPG as cooking fuel and they still rely on the old method of firewood, cow dung or coal as primary source of cooking food. The smoke that arises due to burning of such kind of fuels causes a lot of household pollution which in return adversely affect the health of not only the women that cooks food but also of the other members of the house i.e. the children and the other members. This smoke pollution causes respiratory diseases or disorders. As per a survey and report by WHO, the smoke that is inhaled by the women and children from this unclean fuel is equivalent to smoking or burning 400 cigarettes in an hour which is highly toxic. In addition to this deadly smoke, the women and children have to go through the hard work and pain of collecting firewood.
To stop this hardship of the women the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) intends to protect the health of women and children by providing them with a clean cooking fuels-LPG, so that they do not have to compromise with their health in those polluted smoky kitchens or by roaming in risky zones for collecting the firewood for fuel.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana was propelled by our honorable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on May 1st, 2016 in Ballia, uttar Pradesh. The main purpose of this scheme is to provide about 5 crore LPG connections to the families that fall under Below Poverty Level (BPL) furthermore with a support of Rs 1600 per connection in the next 3 years. Their connections will be issued in the name of the women of the house, Rs. 8000 Crore has been allocated in the direction of this scheme, and sole purpose of this Yojana is to ensure women’s empowerment. The Socio Economic Caste Census Data will be used for documentation and identification of the families that fall under the Below Poverty Level category.
The launch of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana in Ballia was trailed by launch of this scheme in Dahod in Gujarat by Petroleum Minister Shri Dharmendra Pradhan & BJP President Shri Amit Shah. PMUY has also been launched in several districts in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwalla Yojana will also subsequently help in acquisition of around 1 lakh of surplus employment and will also provide with business opportunities of at least Rs. 10,000 crore over next three years to the Indian Industries. This Scheme will likewise be an enormous boost to the Make in India Campaign, as the manufactures of the products that are used in the LPG like gas stoves, cylinders, regulators and gas hose are domestic made.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Ujjwala Yojana is directed at providing the Indian Women falling under BPL households with 5 crore LPG connections across the country. Under this scheme the government has targeted to distribute LPG connections to the houses that fall under BPL. Some of the objectives of this schemes are as follows.
• Protecting the women and empowering them
• Decreasing the severe health vulnerabilities associated with the cooking that uses fossil fuel.
• Lessening the number of deaths in India that are caused by unclean cooking fuel.
• Stopping the young children of India from substantial number of acute respiratory sickness caused due to indoor air pollution that is caused by burning of fossil fuels.
How to Apply for Ujjwala Yojana
The eligible women candidates will have to fill up and submit the Ujjwala Yojana KYC application form, it can also be downloaded online and submitted in the nearest LPG outlet.
• A Women of the BPL family can apply for a new LPG connections (in the prescribed format) to the nearby LPG distributor.
• The documents to be submitted along with the 2 page application form by the women are detailed address, Jandhan Bank Account and also Aadhar card or Aadhar number of all the family members. Also the applicants needs to specify their requirements for the cylinder type e.g. 14.2 KG or 5 KG.
• After processing of the applications the connections of the LPGs will be issued to the Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to the eligible beneficiaries.
• In case the consumer opts for the EMI, the amount of the EMI will be adjusted against the subsidy amount due to the consumer on each refill.
List of Documents Required for PMUY Application
• The list of documents that are to be compulsorily attached along with the filled application form are:
• BPL certificate that is authorized by Panchayat Pradhan or Muncipal Chairman.
• BPL Ration Card
• One Photo ID e.g. Aadhar Card or Voter ID card.
• One Recent Passport sized photo
Eligibility for PMUY
The identification for eligibility of BPL families will be prepared on the basis of SECC-2011 data. Nevertheless the basic eligibility conditions for this scheme are given below.
• The applicants name should be in the list of SECC-2011 data.
• He women applicant should have a saving bank account in any nationalized bank across the country.
• The applicant should be a women above the age of 18 years.
• The applicant’s household should not already have a LPG connection in anyone’s name.
• The women applicant should belong to BPL
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana provides a financial support of Rupees. 1600 for each LPG gas connection to the eligible BPL households, and the connections of these LPG gas connections will be given in the name the women head of the household. The government also intends to provide EMI for the cost of stove and cylinder refill.
Implementation of Ujjwala Yojana
This scheme will be instigated by the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, and it is the first time that the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas will be implementing such a gigantic welfare scheme. This Scheme will profit crores of women that belong to the underprivileged households. This scheme was to be implemented in over three years, which are FY 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19.
Link to download the form in Hindi and English are.